Skip to content

Sodium Hypochlorite – Quick Facts & Safety Information

We at AquFlow pumps know many of our customers use our pumps for Sodium Hypochlorite. We wanted to share this safety information from NJ Department of Health for their benefit.

Sodium Hypochlorite is A.K.A – Liquid Bleach, Sodium Oxychloride, Clorox, Hypochlorous Acid

Sodium Hypochlorite is a clear, slightly yellow or green liquid with a strong Chlorine odor. It is mostly diluted in water to be used as a disinfectant, household cleaner and bleaching agent.

Exposure Limits: The workplace exposure according to NIOSH and AIHA are 0.5 ppm (as chlorine) for a 15 minute period and 2 mg/cubic meter for a 15 minute period respectively.

Exposure Risks:
– It can affect you when inhaled.
– Contact can severely irritate and burn the skin and eyes with possible eye damage.
– Inhaling it can irritate the nose and throat
– Inhaling it can also irritate lungs. Higher exposures can cause build-up of fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema), a medical emergency.
– Exposure can also cause headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.
– It is not combustible but is a strong oxidizer which enhances the combustion of other substances.

First Aid:
Eye Contact – Immediately flush with large amounts of water for at least 30 minutes, lifting upper and lower lids. Remove contact lenses, if worn, while flushing. Seek medical attention immediately.
Skin Contact – Quickly remove contaminated clothing. Immediately wash contaminated skin with large amounts of water. Seek medical attention.
– Remove the person from the exposure.
– Begin rescue breathing (using universal precautions) if breathing has stopped and CPR if heart action has stopped.
– Transfer promptly to a medical facility.
– Medical observation is recommended for 24 to 48 hours after overexposure, as pulmonary edema may be delayed.

For more information and downloading the complete Fact Sheet please CLICK HERE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *